Thursday

True Kite Story

Whilst researching I came across this story written by a person who used to fly kites. Although it doesn't primarily link in with my film story, I really liked it and thought it was nice how people can get attached to kites and it can make relationships.

When I was younger (5 or 6 years old), I remember we (myself and some
of the neighbourhood kids) used to go to the local candy store called
"Lucky Louie's", and we each would buy a paper diamond kite and ball
of cotton string. We would then go to a small parking lot next to the
store and send them up, letting all the string out. We would tie our
lines on the fence and go back and buy more string. Returning and
adding on to the existing line, we would continue to do so until you
had to strain to see that there was a kite at the end of the line.
Of course it then came time to bring the kite back in, seemed to take
all evening to wind it back in.

As I got older I used to build what ever kite plan I could find. My
last project was a 12 foot delta that I call my "Lumbering Giant",
complete with two 80 foot long tails.

Since that project of almost 10 years ago I was seriously injured at
work and have become disabled. I do still get out to fly, but with the
assistance of my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment